(Above: It may be easier to watch how these are made than reading about how to make them.)
Don't miss a thing. Sign up for our free Rootsliving newsletter and get a free eCookbook.
Sometimes it’s all about the presentation.
And this dish is all that.
These orange sailboats are perfect for a summer party, a child’s birthday party, or for any occasion where you want to impress your guests with a minimal amount of work. And they scream: fun!!
I first saw these more than 30 years ago on a trip to San Francisco where Trish and I first ate Dim Sum. These little boats were included on a Dim Sum cart that circled the small restaurant.
Over the years I’ve made them for special occasions, including a pirate-themed birthday party many years ago for my son who was about five or six at the time.
Here are some tips if you decide to make these:
- After you slice the orange in half, take a paring knife and carefully cut into the white pith in a circle, trying to get as close as you can to the skin without piercing the orange.
- Use a melon baller to scoop out the remaining orange flesh. You can use a teaspoon but it’s more difficult and doesn’t do a clean job.
- Buy more oranges than you need because you’re bound to ruin a few by piercing the skin, which will make the liquid jello run out.
- Try to fill up the orange halves to the brim. Your quartered slices will look much better without any left-over skin. If you do have some left-over skin, cut if off with a knife.
Here’s the complete recipe:
Each orange makes four sailboats.
- Orange Jello
- Paper sails
- Step 1 Cut each orange in half.
- Step 2 Take a paring knife and carefully cut into the white pith in a circle, trying to get as close as you can to the skin without piercing the orange.
- Step 3 Use a melon baller to scoop out the remaining orange flesh. Again, be careful not to pierce the skin or it won’t hold the liquid jello.
- Step 4 Fill each orange half with liquid jello (follow directions on jello box to make the jello).
- Step 5 Refrigerate for four hours (according to jello directions).
- Step 6 Remove from fridge and cut each orange half, in half to make a quarter. Stick a paper sail in each quarter.