I love eggplant and I love easy and quick recipes. This has it all.
Much easier and less time-consuming than making eggplant parmesan, this recipe for stuffed eggplant requires about 15-minutes of preparation and then 45 minutes of baking. But the best thing is that you can make this ahead of time: several hours ahead of time. In fact, it’s best that you do.
That’s because these delicacies taste better after they’ve been sitting awhile. The flavors get more intense. So when they’re done, I simply shut off the oven and let them sit there another 90-minutes before serving them at room temperature. I’ve even made these in the morning and then waited five or six hours before serving them. At that point, you can either serve them at room temperature or heat them up quickly in the microwave.
I top the filled eggplants with a mixture of parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and a smoky cheese. This time I used smoked gouda with bacon bits, because that’s what I had in my refrigerator.
Melanzane a Barchetta (Stuffed Eggplant)
This is the easiest and quickest eggplant recipe I know. And more importantly, it's delicious.
- Eggplants, 3, halved vertically
- Grape Tomatoes, one pint, chopped
- Black olives, half a cup, halved
- Capers, 3 tablespoons
- Extra-virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup
- Tomato sauce (or boxed/canned chopped or strained tomatoes), 1/2 cup
- Oregano, pinch
- Salt and pepper, a pinch
- Parmigiano cheese (The best is Parmigiano Reggiano), about 1/3 cup, grated
- Fresh mozzarella, 1 cup, chopped
- Smoked mozzarella or gouda, 1/2 cup
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Step 2 Slice the eggplants vertically
- Step 3 Score the eggplant halves with a sharp knife and then scoop out the flesh with a tablespoon
- Step 4 Chop up the eggplant innards into 1-inch pieces and put them into a large bowl
- Step 5 Chop up the grape tomatoes and olives and add them to the bowl along with the capers and a little bit of olive oil
- Step 6 Stir the mixture well and spoon it into each eggplant boat topping with a little bit of olive oil
- Step 7 Spoon a little bit of the tomato sauce on top and add the salt, pepper, and oregano
- Step 8 Top with parmesan cheese, then the mozzarella and smoky cheese
- Step 9 Bake in the oven for 45 minutes
- Step 10 Turn oven off and let sit there for 90 minutes (or more) until you’re ready to serve (they taste better if you let them sit awhile before you eat them and they can be served either at room temperature or heated up in a microwave)