(This is one of my favorite recipes from the weekly Dorm Room Chef series I produced during 2014. It’s steak pizzaiola made in a slow cooker: easy and delicious. Watch the video above, or read the recipe below.)
Here’s a collection of stews I compiled from good restaurants and cookbooks. I’ve made them all and enjoyed eating them more. Hopefully, you’ll have some of these ingredients on hand so you can make one of these dishes. But if not, watch the video and look at the pretty photos. It will warm you up more than looking at snow photos on Facebook.
The governor of Massachusetts declared a snow emergency and I’m declaring it stew-a-palooza — 2015!
STEWS TO MAKE ON A COLD WINTER DAY
- Geneva’s Quick Chicken And Shrimp Gumbo
- Shrimp Saute
- Easy Beef Bourguignon
- Coq Au Vin Blanc (The same as Easy Beef Bourguignon, only with chicken)
- Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon
- Blanquette De Veau (French Veal Stew)
- Lobster Stew
- Steak Pizzaiola
Steak Pizzaiola (in a slow cooker)
This is one of my favorite Dorm Room Chef recipes. It’s easy — you just throw everything into a slow cooker and wait — and it’s delicious. Lots of flavors here — tart from the capers; sweet from the peppers; and hot from the red pepper flakes — with none of them overpowering the other. And it makes enough for four hungry college students.
- 2 lbs sirloin flap beef, (steak tips) sliced thin against the grain (about ¼ inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, (or more if you like it hot)
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons capers, plus some of it’s juice
- 1 can 12 oz can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or pecorino cheese
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley leaves
- 1 red or green pepper, sliced up
- 1 medium size zucchini, sliced in half moons
- Step 1 Place all ingredients in a slow cooker, mix it up, put the lid on, turn to high heat, set timer for 3 hours. Serve hot.