(Above: Watch the video to see a quiche being made from scratch.)
This is a quick and easy recipe to make: perfect for a weeknight dinner.
The recipe claims it serves just two people but you can stretch it to serve three or even four, if you provide something else to eat with it: maybe a big salad and/or some crusty bread (or even a side of bacon?).
When I made this several years ago, I also made this Irish Soda Bread the same night and served them both together. Both recipes came from the March, 1994 edition of Gourmet Magazine. That night, I doubled the quiche recipe and made two quiches.
I made this again just a few weeks ago and served three people by serving it alongside a big salad. Instead of using just spinach leaves, I used a combination of spinach and swiss chard. It was delicious.
This is perfect for a Sunday brunch, a lunch, or light supper. You make this quiche from scratch. There are no shortcuts but you don’t need them with a dish that takes less than 45 minutes to make.
Spinach, Red Pepper, and Feta Quiche
You can double this recipe to serve four people. Or you can serve smaller slices and serve more people if you serve this with some side dishes.
- All-purpose flour (1/3 cup)
- Unsalted butter (3 tbsp., cold)
- Vegetable shortening (1 tbsp., cold)
- Ice water (1 1/2 tbsp, plus more if necessary)
- Red bell pepper (1/3 cup sliced)
- Olive oil (1 tbsp.)
- Fresh spinach leaves, washed and trimmed (2 cups packed, or about 5 ounces)
- Large eggs (2)
- Heavy cream or milk (1/3 cup)
- Feta cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup)
- Step 1 In a bowl or in a food processor blend together flour, butter, shortening, and a pinch salt until mixture resembles meal.
- Step 2 Add water and toss until incorporated, adding additional water if necessary to form a dough.
- Step 3 Pat dough onto bottom and one half inch up sides of a 9-inch pie plate and bake shell in bottom third of oven until set and pale golden, about 7 minutes.
- Step 4 While shell is baking, in a large skillet sauté bell pepper in light olive oil over moderately high heat, stirring, 1 minute. Add spinach and sauté, stirring, until wilted and tender, about 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat and season spinach mixture with salt and pepper.
- Step 5 In a small bowl whisk together eggs and cream.
- Step 6 Sprinkle feta over bottom of shell and arrange spinach mixture on top. Pour cream mixture over spinach and bake quiche on a baking sheet in middle of oven 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F. and bake until set, about 10 minutes.