(Above: Watch this quick video and see how easy it is to make pesto.)
Don't miss a thing. Sign up for our free Rootsliving newsletter and get a free eCookbook with some of our best recipes.
In the heat of the summer, basil runs amok. It overflows terra-cotta pots; becomes a bush in the garden, a discount at farmer’s markets; and is packed into every CSA share. And we cooks are practically tied up and whipped with garlic scapes until we make pesto.
Fortunately, pesto is pretty quick and easy to make, especially if you have a food processor. All you need are a few ingredients: fresh basil; extra-virgin olive oil; fresh garlic; pine nuts; parmigiano cheese; salt and pepper.
You put it all in a food processor, except for the cheese, and blend it until smooth. Then stir in the parmigiano. And soon you’ll be serving it on pasta, crackers, chicken Florentine, eggs Florentine, all things Florentine, your index finger.
How To Make Pesto
With a food processor, this is a very quick and easy recipe to make. You could also use a blender.
- Fresh basil leaves, about 2 cups loosely packed.
- Extra-Virgin olive oil, about 1/3 to 1/2 cup.
- Pine nuts, 2 tablespoons.
- Garlic clove, 1, peeled.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, 1/4 - 1/2 cup, freshly grated.
- Step 1 Put all ingredients except for the cheese in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. You could also use a blender.
- Step 2 Pour the sauce in a bowl and stir in the cheese.
- Step 3 Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.