(Above: Watch the video to see how these are made. This is an easy recipe and the kids like them too.)
There are a lot of firsts behind this post.
This was the first recipe I posted back in 2009 when I launched this site. And now it’s the first post I updated during the redesign of the site, some nine years later. The video is also the first overhead food video I created (and don’t tell anyone but I used my iPhone).
My mother used to make these at least a few times a month. I like to think of them as an Italian version of a hamburger. And no one will look down on you if you put ketchup on them. That’s how we always ate them. Of course, we also poured olive oil and salt over boiled potatoes after mashing them with a fork.
The stuffing in these peppers is the same stuffing my grandmother used to make for turkey on Thanksgiving. It’s pretty easy to make, even for the novice home cook. You just fry up the meat and add it to a bowl with a piece of bread and a splash of milk. You then add some chopped up spinach (I use frozen chopped spinach that has been thawed) and a couple of eggs.
Finally, you scoop a spoonful of the stuffing and stick it in the peppers, before putting them in the oven. Easy!!
Ma's Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- Hamburger, 1 pound
- Sweet Italian sausages, 2
- A piece of bread ( a stale piece or an end piece to a loaf of American bread is fine. )
- Splash of milk
- Frozen chopped spinach, 1 package (defrosted and cooked.)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, 3/4 cup
- Large eggs, 2
- olive oil to coat frying pan
- Garlic clove, 1
- Green peppers, 6 (cut in half length-wise, remove guts and seeds).
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Put bread slice in bottom of bowl and soak good with milk.
- Step 2 Fry hamburg and sausage in oil and garlic. Break up hamburger and sausage into little pebble-size pieces while cooking. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 3 Add cooked hamburg and sausage mixture to bowl with bread and milk.
- Step 4 Add spinach, cheese, and eggs. And mix well with either clean hands or a fork and knife.
- Step 5 Spoon mixture inside each pepper. Add stuffed peppers to large roasting pan coated with olive oil. Sprinkle olive oil ontop of each pepper and cook in a 350 degree oven for one hour.
- Step 6 Serve with rice or orzo or any side dish you think would work well.