Good recipes endure. And Trish has been making this recipe for more than 20 years. It’s a favorite appetizer at Christmas time in the RootsLiving house, but she also made it this week when we had our next-door neighbors over for a cookout.
She found the recipe in an old cookbook that a previous tenant left in her apartment before we were married.
Asian Shrimp Salad
- 1/2 lb cooked shrimp
- 1/4 lb sliced ham
- 1 small green pepper
- 4-6 spring onions (scallions)
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- For the Dressing:
- 4 tablespoons of peanut or light sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons of vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of grated, fresh ginger
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili oil (optional)
- Step 1 Cut the ham into ribbons.
- Step 2 Halve the pepper, remove the seeds, and slice finely.
- Step 3 Cut the spring onions (scallions) diagonally.
- Step 4 Rinse the bean sprouts and nip the ends.
- Step 5 Combine the shrimp and ham with the vegetables in a bowl and chill until ready to serve.
- Step 6 For the Dressing: Place all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and beat with a fork or whisk until it thickens a little.
- Step 7 Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat evenly.