This is the killer app for Super Bowl Sunday or for all those games leading up to it.
I’m not sure how or when it happened but the most popular appetizer for Super Bowl Sunday is chicken wings. Hot and spicy, barbecue, or sweet with honey mustard are the usual favorites. But here’s something different and guaranteed to be addictive.
There are many similarities between Asian cooking and Italian cooking and this recipe, which is based on a recipe my mother used, blends the two cultures’ spices perfectly. I’ve doctored it up a bit over the years. They’re easy to make and this recipe can be expanded to feed any size crowd. (Note: I eyeball everything, so don’t worry about exact measurements.) These can be made ahead of time, as they’re good hot or cold.
AI (Asian-Italian) Chicken Wings
- Chicken Wings (About 20)
- Soy Sauce (Buy a premium brand, such as Kikkoman
- About a cup. Don’t spare the soy sauce.)
- Garlic (About 5-6 cloves, sliced thin)
- Ginger (If fresh, about 1 inch, peeled and sliced thin
- If ground powder, about 3-4 tbsp.)
- Dried Basil (About 1 tbsp.)
- Dried Oregano (About 1 tbsp.)
- Tabasco Sauce (About 5 drops
- you can add more or less according to how hot you like it. I find, 5 drops to be on the mild side.)
- Sesame Seed Oil (About 1 tsp.
- This is the killer ingredient and you don’t need much to add much flavor.)
- Black Pepper (1/4 tsp.)
- Olive oil (just enough to grease a cookie sheet)
- Step 1 Put wings in a bowl you can seal tight.
- Step 2 Add all ingredients in order that they appear above. Make sure to sprinkle the soy sauce over all of the wings.
- Step 3 Put cover on bowl and shake it good for 30 seconds or so.
- Step 4 Let it rest in the refrigerator. Overnight is best to let the marinade seep in. However, I’ve made them without resting them at all. Simply by shaking the bowl and then putting them in the oven and they’ve come out good and tasty. Shake it a few times during the resting time.
- Step 5 Give it one last shake before spreading wings onto a cookie sheet, greased with a little olive oil. (You may want to line cookie sheet with aluminum foil greased with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.)
- Step 6 Cook in a 350 degree oven for about one hour (turn over after 30 minutes, cook another 30 minutes, and then serve).